Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crabby Tacos

You won't be in a bad mood after tasting these keep-you-from-being-crabby-crabby tacos!  Like many good things that come out of my kitchen, these were tossed together in attempt to feed us and ended up becoming a family favorite.

Ingredients Needed: Imitation crab meat (I used sticks), lemon juice, lime juice, wedding blend seasoning (see What's in My Pantry?), fresh baby spinach, green onions, olive oil, and corn tortillas.

I started by cutting up about 6-8 imitation crab sticks into pieces.  The size doesn't really matter because it flakes apart anyway, it just makes it easier to work with.  The chunks of crab meat were moved into a bowl, where I added equal parts lemon and lime juice (just enough to coat the meat a bit...probably a tablespoon or two at the most).  I then added the wedding blend seasoning and tossed the meat, juices, and seasoning until everything was pretty evenly distributed.  I then set the bowl aside to soak as I prepared the tortillas.

I gently moistened each corn tortilla with a little water before throwing them into a hot skillet.  I cooked them on each side until there were a few little brown spots on the surface.  The tortillas should be harder than when uncooked, but should still be pliable. This takes 3-5 minutes/tortilla.  If you have a griddle and the space (which I don't, sadly) you could cook several at once and work on the stuffing in the meantime.

Next, I cut up a few handfuls of baby spinach into strips. (You don't have to do this, but it makes it easier to work with and easier to eat without dragging big bits out of your tacos!)

It was time to cook up the crabby stuffing! I heated a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a skillet and added the crab meat mixture.  I then added some green onions by cutting the stems straight into my skillet using kitchen scissors.  I cooked the mix until the crab meat was flaking, then added the spinach.  I continued cooking until the spinach was wilted and mixed in well with the rest of the ingredients.

The stuffing was then added to the tortillas.  I put out cheese and hot sauce, but they were so good we didn't even use them! (Not even my husband, who puts hot sauce on his hot sauce! :p)  They were awesome! Chief, Hubby, and Roommate approved! :)

So, I didn't get a picture of the tacos themselves because we ate them too quick,
but here's a shot of the stuffing almost ready to come out of the skillet.
Seriously, you should make these...they are one of my proudest culinary accomplishments! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment