Sunday, December 15, 2013

A New (Healthier?) Spin on SOS

Some of my favorite nights growing up were the nights that Momma would make French Dip. She typically made fluffy, buttery homemade bread for our savory roast beef sandwiches that we dipped in that perfectly delectable au jus. This made each bite a scrumptious mouthful of heavenly splendor.

Another wonderful thing about Momma making that amazingly delicious dinner in our crockpot was that there were always lots of leftovers. Left over roast beef is great for lots of things, but one of the best meals to follow French Dip was surely S*O*S*. (This stands for eh-hemmm.... "stuff" on shingles.) This classic leftovers meal was comprised of toasted bread topped with homemade gravy full of bits of roast beef from last night's supper.

Which brings us to last night. I was trying to find something quick to throw together for dinner and for whatever reason wishing we had roast beef for SOS. I decided to try something a little different using what we had available.

First, I poured some olive oil in a bowl with a little garlic powder and a little less onion powder. After stirring these ingredients with my basting brush, I brushed the oil onto six pieced of honey wheat bread. I broiled the bread in the oven until they were lightly toasted.
While the bread was toasting, I shredded some honey-smoked turkey (sandwhich meat) into a pot and poured in the last of our shredded cabbage mix. I drizzled these with olive oil and seasoned with garlic powder and paprika. I simmered these for a bit, stirring occasionally, until the veggies were done, but still a had a good crunch to them. (I love for things to still be crunchy!)
When the meat and veggies seemed ready, I poured in a can of cream of mushroom soup and added a can's worth of milk. I mixed the ingredients well and heated through so that everything was hot and a little bubbly.  I think I ended up adding a little more paprika in this step as well.
I arranged three pieces of toast on each plate and topped them with the soup mixture. Voila! A new spin on the classic that is SOS! My husband was a pretty big fan of this one despite the fact that he was feeling a bit sick most of the day yesterday.

 Sure, turkey isn't roast beef and mushroom soup isn't gravy, but nevertheless, this was pretty tasty! (And I can't confirm this, but it might even be slightly healthier for you!) It was also good to have the veggies in that you wouldn't normally get with classic SOS. I thought about adding frozen peas to this, but I had already began cooking by the time the idea came to me. That didn't really give me time to get them cooked before the other bits were ready. Next time, I might try it with peas or possibly green beans...maybe even carrots?! Anyway, the veggies were pretty good mixed in, so that has to make it healthier than the classic one, right?!?!

Don't let this scare you! It was delicious! Hope you get the chance to give it a try! Happy eating! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment