Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cherry, Coconut, and Dark Chocolate Lip Gloss

Another fun thing I did for Christmas this year was experiment with making my own lip gloss.  To make lip balm, you really need things like beeswax...which I did not have on hand and didn't want to spend money buying.  However, making lip gloss is a whole different story!  The base for lip gloss is petroleum jelly, which is cheaper, and is also something I happened to already have on hand. 

Fun side-note, petroleum jelly
fluoresces under a blacklight!
Petroleum jelly is not only good for soothing dry, chapped, or flaky skin (including lips!), it is also good for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.  It helps the skin to retain moisture and can minimize or even prevent scarring if applied to wounds. (Which is particularly good for this post if your lips split in the winter like mine do!)

The first time I made petroleum jelly lip gloss, I got a little over excited with the flavor combo.  I started off wanting to do a dark chocolate flavor because I had some dark cocoa powder in my cabinet.  Then I wanted to add some cherry flavor to it....then I thought it needed coconut too!  I didn't realize it at the time, but there were some great benefits to each of these ingredients.

First, let's discuss the dark cocoa powder.  This ingredient contains a wide variety of antioxidants that promote healthy cellular function, giving it anti-aging properties.  It also contain an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent known as epicatechin.

The cherry extract is apparently rich in vitamin C and contains a great deal of antioxidants.  This provides anti-aging benefits while also reducing pain and inflammation. (Great if your lips are painfully dry like mine get around Christmas!) It also boosts the production of collagen and elastin as well as increases the body's ability to retain moisture.



The coconut extract also helps the skin retain moisture. It also helps to actually moisturize skin as well.  It's also ideal for people who have sensitive or easily irritated skin.


Here's how to make this luscious lip treat for yourself or someone else that you love!


Cherry, Coconut, and Dark Chocolate Lip Gloss
1 Tbsp. Petroleum Jelly
1 tsp. Dark Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp. Cherry Extract
1/4 tsp. Coconut Extract

1) Melt the petroleum jelly in a microwave-safe bowl for about 2 minutes or until it is completely liquid.

2) Stir in all other ingredients mixing well to avoid your gloss being too gritty. You may want to add more extract if you want a stronger flavor/scent.

3) Pour into desired containers such as cosmetic pots, empty lip gloss tubes (not sure how well these work), or my favorite, cleaned contact cases that I get free when I order new contacts.

4) Allow gloss to set for 2 hours, then seal with lids and enjoy at will!

No comments:

Post a Comment